Monday, February 28, 2011

TALKING POINTS #5 // QUESTION FOR CLASS // WESCH

My question for class is a broad one - is college for everyone? Should so many attend? Are students benefiting from it? Are students prepared?

One of my concerns reading the Wesch article is that he is advocating dialogue between professor and student to such an extent that the student body - whether in one course or University-wide - begin to mold the essence of their education.

I have concerns with this. Universities have begun to incorporate student evaluations of professors when considering tenure, salary and hiring practices despite studies showing that a student evaluation directly correlates to a the grade a student anticipates receiving. This has resulted in a spiral effect of 'easier' teachers becoming increasingly more valuable to the University.

The New York Times article, "Plan B - Skip College" raises a number of interesting points about higher education in America.
For college students who ranked among the bottom quarter of their high school classes, the numbers are stark: 80 percent will probably never get a bachelor’s degree or even a two-year associate’s degree.
That can be a lot of tuition to pay, without a degree to show for it.
College degrees are simply not necessary for many jobs. Of the 30 jobs projected to grow at the fastest rate over the next decade in the United States, only seven typically require a bachelor’s degree, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Among the top 10 growing job categories, two require college degrees: accounting (a bachelor’s) and postsecondary teachers (a doctorate). But this growth is expected to be dwarfed by the need for registered nurses, home health aides, customer service representatives and store clerks. None of those jobs require a bachelor’s degree.
Professor Vedder likes to ask why 15 percent of mail carriers have bachelor’s degree. “Some of them could have bought a house for what they spent on their education,” he said.
I am concerned that as college becomes more of a rite of passage instead of a thoughtful option, educational standards will diminish as colleges and Universities cater to their diversely-prepared populations.

I need to come up with more thoughtful language to make this argument - I am afraid I am sounding elitist which isn't my intention. Perhaps some of you have resources I could look into on this subhect?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jane, Great information it forced me to think outside of the box. But I must say in my personal opinion I feel that college is a must especially in a state like rhode island with lowest employment rate. I feel that college just give you better job security a one up if you will....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For college students who ranked among the bottom quarter of their high school classes, the numbers are stark: 80 percent will probably never get a bachelor’s degree or even a two-year associate’s degree."
    Perhaps the reason why thiss tatisitc is real is the lack of univeristies to bring about the change in how students learn. It is allaround us.. this world of technology. I had a student mention to me the other day. "Aren't the days of chalk and challkborad over?" They need to be because we are losing them..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Diana - education at all levels needs to improve and become more pertinent.

    What I think is interesting about the article is that it points out that a vast amount of jobs don't require a college degree. On the individual level I think it's great that a student be well prepared for college and be able to benefit from college - for intrinsic reasons as well as a return on their investment.

    But on a macro level - a lot of students are paying for college, not necessarily graduating, and working in job that don't require degrees.

    Perhaps the U.S. is over-educating their work force at the expense of those students that do go onto to careers that require college degrees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting idea you bring up. College is still largely a necesity for professional careers. I also know that there are a lot of people that want to go to college but cannot because of the cost. I am a special education major, and I think of what college is for them. Yes there are modifications but only so many. college profesors are not trained in teaching methods. Maybe its college that needs to change. For some of these kids maybe college is not the best option. THere is a lot of jobs that can be found that don't need the degree. Do you think colleges themselves need to adapt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not think college is for everyone. I also do not think college is necessary to enter the workforce. Many times experience will override education.

    Personally when I worked for Cox Communications many people in my department had bachelor degrees and I hadn't even finished my associate's and was making very close to what they were making.

    The reason I am in school is for self improvement. I have no need, I run my own business, however I wanted to challenge myself to see how far I could go.

    I enjoy gaining new knowledge and staying current. That is the purpose of school for me, not to get a better job, but to be a better me.

    ReplyDelete