Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TALKING POINTS #3: CHRISTENSEN

I am giving myself a 'bye week' for a full blog post...

These are my questions/issues for class

A few criticisms/misunderstandings:
- Christensen seems to oversimplify the roots of the evils she discusses, as if they were manufactured in a particular place at a particular time by the powers that be at Disney, Mattel and Nike. .."

- On page 33, the author discusses the fantasy objectives involved in many of the films and stories. I agree wholeheartedly that the fantasies can be misguided but I think the purpose of fantasy in the world is to create a myth of non-representation - imagining a place or time or new person that you could be... that's a vital resource humans have, particularly the ones that aren't fortunate.

I do agree strongly with a statement on page 131 describing how non-white girls can easily see examples of racism but the gender inequities remained more invisible.

1 comment:

  1. Good reflection jane !

    I totally agree with what you stated

    "I do agree strongly with a statement on page 131 describing how non-white girls can easily see examples of racism but the gender inequities remained more invisible" Jane

    Till this day all this is still invisible !

    ReplyDelete