Sunday, January 30, 2011

Introductory Post

I am a 32 year old student who is completing her last two classes at RIC this semester. I majored in geography, minored in women's studies, and work at a historic preservation and archaeological firm producing maps and managing their geographic information.

I absorb a lot of media: I read the New York Times every day, I read the New Yorker every week, I listen to NPR for about three hours daily, and subscribe to about 150 blogs on subjects ranging anywhere from interior decoration to independent music to personal finance to fine art photography.

I manage all of my calendars, to do lists, tasks, and financial accounts in the digital world.

I am interested in learning more about the complexity of the digital native - not all teens have access to the internet, own cellphones, or have a computer at home. I'm curious how socioeconomic and other factors shape a teenager's experience with the digital world.

I mentor a 13 year old who doesn't have a lot of digital access - it's interesting getting to know a supposed "digital native" who uses my phone to peruse her Facebook account!

1 comment: